Monday, July 30, 2012

SPOILERS



Okay, SO!  Today's update is technically something I did a few days ago.
Since I was traveling yesterday and already posted about Ancestry.com I figured I'd save this for today's post.

I have been wanting a new iPhone case for some time.  Something that would properly display my nerdom in a cliche and yet totally neat, original, handcrafted way.  So I started by ordering myself this:


A SmartBook (or rather a BookBook knock-off) iPhone case.  

I love the idea of this because it:
  • Looks like a book
  • Holds mah phone
  • Holds mah moolah
I bought the knock-off (aka: cheaper) brand because I knew I was about to paint all over this thing.

The objective though was to turn this SmartBook into this:


Oh, sorry, don't know what I'm talking about?  Not a whovian?  Let me catch you up...


This chick, River Song, has this diary.  She keeps her encounters with the Doctor in it.  Keeps all the Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff a little more straight.  But that's all you're getting outta me.  Sorry.  Spoilers.  ;)

Let's take a closer look:



I love River Song.  And I love the idea of my phone case being her journal.  Would make cosplay opportunities very neat-o.  And if I were to go as anyone, it would be River Song, because let's face it she's one tough chick:



Look how she handles that gun!

Okay, gotta stop...spoilers.  ;)


So again, started with the SmartBook.  I was afraid the brown leather wouldn't take on the color blue I wanted, so I coated it in white first.  Then a second coat of the same.


Then I coated it in blue.  Like BLUE.  And again, two coats.


Once the blue dried, I coated the whole case in ModgePodge.  Gave it some nice texture and postponed any chipping by a good while.

Next was the tricky part.  Drawing on the pattern.  Not too daunting of a task (I just carved it in with a permanent pen).  But.  When I ordered my SmartBook, I didn't anticipate the binding to come so far out onto the front for some reason...my bad.  So I just scooted everything over and adjusted.  And you know what...?


After drawing the front, that didn't look half bad!  So I finished it up and...


Voila!  A Tardis Diary iPhone Case

I love it so much.

Stay tuned for my Minnesota trip breakdown, film memoirs, and Nantucket Getaway!

Until next time...

Geronimo!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this and wanted to let you know I've just about finished 2 TARDIS journals for use a props in our family photo shoot coming up. I had so much fun just making them instead of buying them. I hate when people spam my blog to try to get traffic to their own blog, but this is legit. Check it out at:
    www.envoguebonmarche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of questions before I attempt to undertake making this myself, first what kind of paint did you use? And where did you purchase it? Ok, that was two questions in one, and lastly did you draw on the pattern or press it in, I know you said draw I just want to clarify. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete