Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I am the WoMan from Nantucket!


Hello, dear reader,

Greetings from the cool-and-yet-rain-logged island of Nantucket!

My pretty yard

I swear, even if it's super rainy, I love this island.  I mean aside from the over-priced clothes, lack of cheap family-friendly dining, and parking issues.

Seriously, I can not afford a 320 dollar tunic shirt, or a awesome-looking yacht coat that I will only wear maybe once for 650!  This is a family vacation spot, shouldn't I be able to afford clothes?  Or is that just for all of the rich people not residing in Old Tom Nevers?

Also, they got rid of SIX OF THE BEST RESTAURANTS.  Okay, granted, I wasn't able to get out here for the past two summers so that's on me and I can only remember the names of four of them, but still.  I hop off that plane and I am craving some Even Keel.  And then, oh wait, sorry, CLOSED.  They had the best Lobster Benedict and was a great breakfast/lunch/dinner place, geared to families.  No biggie though, let's go to the Ropewalk for the best calamari you will ever have in your life.  Did I mention it's right on the dock so you have an awesome view.  NEGATIVE, CLOSED.  Well, at least you can count on some typical American cuisine from the Atlantic.  And the architecture and interior is fab.  FALSE, CLOSED.  Let's just grab a burger from the Rotary.  CLOSED.  Hey Victoria, you're finally old enough to appreciate the restaurant located in the cellar of the ol' Coffin House...CLOSED.  Well, the airport has that cute restaurant we spent our snowed-in winter at--CLOSED.

RIP:

The Ropewalk

The Atlantic

The Even Keel

We went to this joint that replaced the Atlantic that had pub food, the Sea Dog? and I was so ready to give them the benefit of the doubt...BUT they burnt our food, were overpriced, and even though we ordered my sister's food right as we sat down, it took them half an hour to get out a couple of burgers.  They even got our appetizers out before the girls' meals (which again, we ordered first).  Also, they charged for every refill.  Seriously?  $2.50 per soda?  Goodbye.  At least the Pharmacy is still open...for now.

Still waiting for food, coloring has lost its charm...


I'm just thankful that Aunt Leah's fudge is still around.  But even they've cut back business hours...  Best fudge in the WORLD I swear.  And that Peanut Butter fudge...I could eat it all day long.

It really is!

Get in my belly!

And well, parking has always been tight because they are the most precious cobblestone roads and everything is all antiquated and I LOVE IT.

So if you're coming for some down-time and are ready to cook yourself some meals for non-fancy situations, this is a great place.  Which is typically my family.

It's the first summer I've spent here with my little sisters, and our last summer in our personal summer residence (affectionately referred to by myself as "Huevos on Huevos"...it's a long story involving a Pat Green reference and some really politically incorrect jokes on a family member's part.  ha...).  My padre and myself are at the local library right now, mooching off internet, as our own personal wifi at the house is spotty and the girls are making a ruckus.  Dad's trying to do work, I'm trying to blog, so we escaped for a few hours.  Later we're going to see The Amazing Spider-man at the newly rebuilt Dreamland Theatre.  It looks gorgeous and I've been waiting to see the result of hard-work and fundraising.

The NEW Dreamland

The theatre has a lengthly history:

"Originally built in 1835 as a Quaker Meetinghouse located on Main Street near Fair Street, it was moved to Brant Point in 1883, where it became the center portion of the Nantucket Hotel.  When the hotel was sold in 1905, the meetinghouse portion of the building was purchased by the Improved Order of the Red Men.  It was disconnected, placed on a barge, and floated across the harbor where it was relocated to its present site, where it opened as Nantucket’s first vaudeville house.  In time, the first floor of the building functioned as a moving picture theater and the second floor was a lodge room and dance hall.  A large addition constructed in 1922 increased the theater’s seating capacity to 600.  The building functioned as a theater until 2005, and following several unsuccessful redevelopment schemes for the building, it was purchased by the Dreamland Foundation in 2007.  Following a lengthy study which deemed the building structurally unsound, the Foundation decided that renovating the existing building would be impractical.  Plans were put in motion to raise funds and construct a facility whose design would honor its heritage through the re-use of some of the old buildings parts as architectural features."
Then

Now


So, yeah, so very excited to see a great movie like Spider-man again, this time in such a neat, historical building.  
And of course, in this awful weather, I'll be dressing up...not:
Just got this cute new sweater.  Haven't ever gotten one, in all my years visiting the island, so it's long overdue.  Fell in love with the color and text as soon as I saw it but they didn't have a small.  Boo.  :(  

That's okay, I like my sweaters 
BIG AND COMFY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment